Sunday, August 15, 2010

Movie Review: Eat, Pray, Love

Warning: Possible SPOILERS ahead!

Jeff and I had a "date day" today, thanks to my parents who came over to watch K.T. I had been anticipating, for quite some time now, the release of Eat, Pray, Love which is based off the novel of the same name by Elizabeth Gilbert. I was able to talk Jeff into taking me to see this one, though it wasn't hard as he is EXCELLENT about taking me to chick flicks (love you, babe) and he knew I'd been waiting for this one.

Back in July, I downloaded the audio book and have been listening to it on/off for a few weeks now. Finding time to listen has been my main challenge. I'm really enjoying the book, but with an increase in deadlines at work and having little to no time at home, it's hard finding the right opportunity to sit, at peace, with my iPod. I'm finding the book very interesting and from what I've read up to this point (can I say read even though I'm listening to it?), the movie, for the most part, is pretty good about following it.

This movie really makes you think. As a woman who fits the stereotype of graduating college, getting married, and now having a child, this movie can't help BUT make one think about things.

The rough storyline is about the author, Elizabeth Gilbert, who finds herself in a rut in life. Married to a man she loves, but no longer wants to be married to, feeling alone, wondering about the 'what ifs', wondering about God. She does what most of us never have the courage to do and sets out on an one year journey to find herself, to find her balance in life. She travels first to Italy, then to India and finally Indonesia (Bali). The scenery in this movie is enough to make you cry. It will spark your inner travel bug. If you are a photographer it will make you itch.

To be able to have the guts and the time and the freedom to do what she did is definitely enviable. Did she morally do things right? Probably not. But I appreciate the relationship she built with God, the spiritual journey she took, the openness she showed to each culture.

If this post doesn't make a lot of sense, it's probably because it's hard to put this all into words. I think this book/movie took me on an emotional journey and it's always hard to write into words how things relate.

Rest assured, friends and more notably family. I love Jeff and KT too much to leave them behind when I decide to travel the world in search of myself. Something our little family plans on doing!

Overall, I liked the movie a lot, even Jeff said he enjoyed it. It's got a lot of humor, a lot of emotion and if you need any more incentives, it's got Javier Bardem (need I say more? rawwwr!).

No comments: