Thursday, July 29, 2010

One half of a year

Today, K.T. turns 6 months old. To be cliche, I ask "Where has the time gone?" but as I look back on the past six months of her life, I realize we've LIVED a lot, LEARNED a lot and most importantly LOVED a lot.

I had intended to post a letter, as I am in the process of writing one to her - something I plan on doing at each major milestone in her life (birthdays, graduations, etc) but it's still not finished (and I already have 6 pages down with at least another 5 left to write). I will get there, but not today. Today, I want to list the highlights, the memories, the experiences of the past six months.

Delivery
  • Such a surreal experience in itself, you can watch TLC's "A Baby Story" over-and-over-and-over but never understand the emotions until you are in them yourself
  • When Jeff first saw K.T., as they took her to the table to clean her off, he told me she was covered in vaseline (too cute!)
  • There was some song playing on the radio in the delivery room, I wish I would of remembered the name, all I know is that it was about war
  • I remember hating the original oxygen mask they put on me, I felt suffocated and unable to breath - luckily, they found another to make me more comfortable
  • I will never forget the sound of her cry when she came out - I was praying for a scream, because in my mind that meant she was all good!
  • When they brought her over to us, I remember them handing her to Jeff and the amazement and awe that we felt is so incredibly difficult to describe in words
  • KT was so little, it made me nervous - hardly any fat on her little body - this upset me more than I thought it would.
0 - 1 Month (Jan-Feb)
  • The hospital stay was rough - I'll leave it at that.
  • The first night we spent in post-op, KT made this Xena-warrior cry noise. Jeff and I busted out laughing. It's a good memory.
  • I loved when the nurses would bring her back to us from the nursery, freshly swaddled and with a cap on her head - she looked exactly like a glow worm. This image will be with me forever.
  • I'll never ever forget having to feed my baby with a syringe.
  • We spent the entire first week of her life on pins and needles stressing out about feeding her and gaining weight.
  • When she lost weight the first day she was home I wanted to cry - I probably did.
  • When KT gained an ounce (just 1 ounce) at the doctor's office 2 days after we went home, both Jeff and I screamed "YES!" and high-fived in front of the doctors - I find humor in that now
  • We had to have blood drawn for her arms for tests - that was the hardest thing I had to witness.
  • Complications with breastfeeding, overwhelming pressure from what seemed like the world, and finally success at home - too many emotions surrounding this one
  • We spent a lot of time watching the Winter Olympics
  • Up until 3 weeks post delivery, everytime she looked up at me with those trusting eyes, I lost it. I had probably cried at least once a day. Mostly, I was overwhelmed by the fact that she was here. She was ours. She 100% relied on us. It's such a deep emotional feeling.
1 - 2 Months (Feb - Mar)
  • KT started testing out her smiling capabilities. Small smiles, randomly. I loved this.
  • Steadily gaining weight, we had our 2 month check up and our first round of shots.
  • She found her hands, and loved putting them into her mouth, and boy did the drool start coming.
  • We cheated, and used a swing to lull her into slumberland - though her sleeping pattern was still sketchy.
  • First road trip to a cousins wedding at age 6 weeks.
  • KT got her nights and days mixed up there for a few weeks (around 7-8 weeks) - it was tough!
  • Lots and lots of staring - at each other, at KT - soaked everything in.
2 - 3 Months (Mar - April)

  • I went back to work -KT went off to daycare - I cried the first day, and maybe a little on the second.
  • The cooing sounds that she made melted our hearts and made us laugh
  • I think she realized this, as she started experimenting with her vocal chords by making random screams here and there and then looking back at us as to say, "Hey! did you guys just hear that?!"
  • Smiles became a frequent sight and became more and more deliberate everytime.
  • Sleeping through the night became a regular occurence, even if it WAS in that swing.
  • We got into a great routine: After school we'd come home and play, then eat, then bathe and then to bed by 6:30/7:00
  • KT dressed up so cute for her Uncle J.R. & Aunt Ashley's wedding in April!
3 - 4 Months (April - May)
  • Between months 3 and 4, KT began holding her head up on her own.
  • She started grabbing, nothing deliberate at first but by the end of the month she was focusing on things and grabbing. My most notable memory is when she finally grabbed the birdy toy I've had on her car seat since day one!
  • I ran a 5k for her on her 4 month birthday (May 29)!
  • That same weekend, she transitioned relatively smoothly into her crib.
  • We started to hear laughs and every once in awhile, small giggles
  • Our interaction with her was amazing - she was so reactive to both Jeff and I
  • We bought her a jumper around this time - I think if she could talk she would tell us this was the best purchase we ever made - oh how she loved it (and STILL loves it).
  • Introduction to her "lovey" - you know those little blankets with a stuffed animal head on it. We had about 3 of them, and never knew what they were for. She LOVES hers.
4 - 5 Months (May - June)
  • Small cold and ear infection at her 4 month check up - first round of antibiotics complete and a much happier baby - even after her second round of shots!
  • Her facial expression after tasting solid foods was hilarious - but she was a quick learner. We advanced through the foods pretty quickly.
  • Between 4 and 5 months, KT discovered her feet, which has now made diaper changes a bit more difficult.
  • She is so playful by this point - she loves and is aware of all her stuffed animals.
  • KT is in a great routine at school - she loves her teachers and some of the babies there (more interaction then you might think!)
  • School pictures were taken - I was doubtful - they are now one of my favorite pics of her!
5 - 6 Months (June - July)

  • At the beginning of July, she finally started rolling from her back to her tummy!
  • I found her on her stomach in her crib on many occasions.
  • We got our first virus and another trip to the doctors office - Coxsackie virus - she looked like she had the measles - but not medication was necessary, just time.
  • Efforts to sit up started mid-July and are going very well! We can go for a little bit on our own but then when we look back, OOPSY! we tip over! We try to practic a little every day when we get home from school.
  • KT's first tooth has broken the surface - I could cry, this makes me so sad. Just another sign of growing up.
  • I am in full swing with making my own baby food for KT - acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, apples, pears, bananas and peaches.
  • KT also eats oatmeal and rice cereal
  • She also is a babbling machine! Many times during the week I am not woken by my alarm clock, instead I'm woken by the sounds of a cute baby talking away in her crib!
  • It seems that everytime one of us goes to pick her up in the morning she is FULL of smiles - it erases any grouchiness (for the most part anyway)
  • KT has started trying to pull her knees under her over the past week - signs of a future crawler? We'll see!

Things KT LOVES:

  • Her Alligator
  • Smiling
  • When Mama sings "I Love You Too" by Ziggy Marley (no judgement please)
  • Moose from Minnesota (who stares down at her when she's on her changing pad)
  • Carrots
  • Her Jumper
  • Bathtime
  • Kicking in water
  • When Daddy holds her up to a mirror
  • Her lovey
  • Old Navy pajamas (okay, maybe that's things I LOVE!)
  • Her teachers at school
  • Posing for pictures (well, only partially)
Things KT HATES:
  • Acid baths (i.e. when we lotion her)
  • Green beans (though after tasting my concoction myself, they are pretty gross!)
These past six months have been beyond amazing. Ups, downs, backwards and with our eyes closed - it's definitely been an adventure. I can not wait to see what the next six bring us - and just seeing how fast the time has flown has made me realize that her one year birthday is just right around the corner! I better get crack-a-lackin' on the PLANS!

3 comments:

Cavazos Family said...

this is so great Colleen. I was starting to cry reading this!!!

The Garcia Novela said...

precious!

pittypatpages.blogspot.com said...

So sweet..when are you going to write that novel?