I'm making my own baby food! I know - I'm as shocked as you are. I know! I thought I was too lazy to do something on this large of a scale, too! But... *busts out in song* "IF THEY COULD SEE ME NOW.... (a little tap dance added in here)" *blank stare* I've fallen off the deep end tonight with these blog postings. Anyway, back to the post.
I had pretty much decided to make my own baby food well before our little bundle arrived. Am I some "organic mama" as someone on Facebook pegged me? Not really. For one. I'm not using organic fruits and veggies. I'm using normal, run of the mill, must scrub everything before I prep fruits and veggies.
I'll admit, the number one reason I had decided to undertake this project was mainly cost. Do you know how much those little jars are in the stores? (less jars now, more tupperware plastic). $1.04/pop . Now, you do the math. How many pounds of apples can you buy, cook and puree for that cost. I'll tell you. A LOT, that's how much. It's just not economical of me to buy those little things. And K.T., my friends, likes to eat. On her 3rd day of baby food, she wolfed down a pack of carrots. After that, I knew at this rate, I'd be broke by the end of August. So, I said the sooner I start this business the better.
Now, the second reason I make my own baby food has only come about AFTER I fed her the packaged variety. And that is flavor. Have you TASTED that business? I'm not saying they are all horrible, but I tried their squash, carrots and sweet potatoes and yeah, they are no bueno. It's like they've lost a bit of flavor. I had heard that flavor is one of the key benefits of homemade baby food. Let's just say that K.T. was NOT HAVING the packaged sweet potatoes. She hated them. Tonight I fed her the homemade kind and honestly, she liked it! Well, she didn't SAY as much, but at least she didn't give me the sad face. You know which face I'm talking about. It's this one:
Right, I thought you'd remember that one.
Anyway, it's been a FUN adventure. I'm not kidding. There's a certain satisfaction in making this stuff. In seeing the bags of cubed puree in your freezer and be like, huh...can't believe I did that. And quite honestly, peeps, it's not as hard as I had heard. Time consuming? No more then a lazy afternoon. Just the baking process may take up some time but that's about it. All the pureeing and freezing business - it's a CINCH!
Now, does this mean I'll never use the store bought version. No. I understand convenience, hell, I LOVE convenience. So if it's necessary, say during travel, then I'll use store bought. I don't have a vendetta against store bought, it's only that I like my $$, and I'd like to keep it, at least until K.T. starts driving or goes off to college. But until then, mama needs to save for a new pair of shoes, so... there you go.
Here's a few snaps from my adventures. I've made (so far) butternut squash, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, bananas and peaches. I still need to make carrots, peas and green beans. Stay tuned for tomorrow (maybe).
2 comments:
You are a fabulous mom! Yay for homemade baby food!!! Those pics I took, were inspired by you! Thanks!
i so want those ice cube trays!!!
Post a Comment