Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust

Colleen, Lauren, & Jenny (SIL's!)

Another 5k, that is!

I completed my second 5k (Red Licorice Cougar Country Classic in the ATX), just 5 days shy of K.T.'s 6-month birthday! I'll be honest, I was scared out of my mind to do this one. Far less people, which means far more chances to get my butt kicked. My treadmill bit the dust about 2.5 weeks ago, and since then I've done close to zero running *cry*. Although, I have increased my cycling, so I'm not completely out of touch with exercise. But, I found my groove and I crossed the line!

Colleen, Lauren & Jenny (pre-race)

As with the previous 5k back in May, I ran this one with my SIL's. Poor Lauren did something to her knee! I advised her to go see the doctor, stat. And if you are reading this, Lauren - do it!! :P

Jenny did a fantastic job, ran the entire course and we crossed the finish line together (well almost, we did a sprint there at the end and yeah, let's just say it wasn't pretty on my end! There was a lot of jiggle. I hope no one caught that on camera!).

Colleen (K.T.), Lauren (Elise, missing Clara), Jenny (Taylor)

All this recent activity has made me realize I've slacked off over the past few weeks. I've been avoiding the scale and I've been very lax on the diet. So Jeff and I decided to buckle down and set a 3-week goal. No cheating, exercise regularly and let's just see what happens to the slump we were in. I like this mini-goal. Plus, it'll help me get into the right frame of mind to compete in my NEXT event in October: The Trek Women's Tri - and let's not even TALK about the level of my nerves on that one!

One thing is for sure though. In the 12 years that I've been out of high school, I've realized I miss competition. I'm a competitive person by nature, and I think a little competition is HEALTHY for everyone. Yeah, I wonder each time I step up to the line, "Why did I do this?" but once the gun sounds, that thought just disappears!

Thanks to Jeff and my baby K.T. for providing support and inspiration. I love you both!

1 comment:

Cavazos Family said...

nice Colleen!!! you are so motivating. good work!!!