Thursday, May 13, 2010

Second Wind

Tonight, I did not want to work out, even after my motivational post. I got to see the newlyweds this evening and we got to chat about their fabulous time in Jamaica and I got to oogle and envy their fabulous tans. Before they came, I changed into my workout clothes and put my shoes on. That way, I didn't have another excuse not to run tonight. But these are the consequences of missing a workout during the week. You've got to make it up somewhere.

But I dragged my butt over there and I sighed one huge sigh, that's it, just one, and I began to run. And I jammed out to my music, and I started getting in the zone. Tonight, I didn't get all the way there, but I MADE myself finish. I MADE myself do the extra 2 minutes of running that I said I'd do and I MADE myself push it. And I'm glad I did, because now that's done and I tomorrow I can have a day of rest knowing that I took care of business today.

One thing I realized about having music, there's always that one song that makes you catch your second wind. Just when you're ready to give up, just when you're ready to throw in the towel, you'll hit the forward button and THAT song will play, and you'll realize, you know what...I think I can keep going. OR you know what, this is the song I imagine playing in the background as I run down the beach in my bikini body (oh, please, don't tell me you've never thought about that). So you keep going and you finish, and all is right.

In case you're wondering, here are a few songs on my playlist:

"Love Today" Mika (this is my warm up motivational song)
"Sex on Fire" Kings of Leon
"Use Somebody" Kings of Leon
"Wake Up" Arcade Fire
"Say Hey (I Love You)" Michael Franti & Spearhead
"Hey, Soul Sister" Train
"I Gotta Feeling" Black Eyed Peas
"You Shook Me All Night Long" ACDC
"I'm Yours" Jason Mraz
"Never There" Cake

and a handful of others...

I'm open to song suggestions. Got any?

1 comment:

Megs Stapleton said...

Thanks for posting your MP3 songs. I have some Britney Spears and some Muse to round out my routine.

I can't wait to get back to working out. Come summer, I am meeting a friend for a 5:30am walking session. I can't wait to start my day with a workout!