Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Boston to NYC: Day 4

Last morning in Boston was today. :-( I was sad to be leaving such a beautiful city. There was still so much to see (Harvard, Cambridge, etc.) that we hadn't gotten around to yet, but I guess that just gives us another exc...er...reason to come back to Boston, eh? Wicked! (in Beantown's defense, I didn't hear the phrase "wicked" once). Guess it's just a sterotype?)

We decided to use the breakfast vouchers the hotel comped us for our room issues and went down to the Parker Restaurant. Fanciest breakfast buffet on the block. Seriously. Oh well, it was free!

We headed to South Station afterward to catch our train to NYC. I have traveled by train before, but I was much younger and I had someone else taking care of the details. Let me just tell you there was no security. No bag checks. No nada. We could of shown up 5 minutes before we departed and we would of been fine. Who knew!

Boards at South Station (Boston)

I didn't know what to expect with Amtrak, but let me tell you. It was an AWESOME experience. It's a fantastic way to see the countryside (w/o having to worry about stops, gas, etc) Going in and out of all those New England counties was just gorgeous. We passed so many sites. I was mesmerized. And the 4 hours flew by.

Our Amtrak train on Platform 8 in South Station (Boston)

We pulled into NYC around 3:30pm and walked about 8 blocks (dragging suitcases) to our hotel. I thought we were in Hell's Kitchen. Wrong. Fabric District. Right near the Parsons School of Design (kind of cool) but not exactly what I would call the fabulous side of town. There are a lot of nice hotels right here, but the surrounding area, not so sure. Times Square is literally 2 blocks down.

Staybridge Suites (NYC Times Square)

We weren't quite sure what to do with ourselves tonight, so we were spontaneous. In order to put ourselves int a Christmas mood, we decided to go see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. What a fabulous show! We had a good time - Jeff's first musical/stage performance ever. Glad we got to experience that here.

Radio City Music Hall

Afterward, we headed over to Rockefeller Center to see if we could take in the Observatory Deck at night. We decided to come back when we had all of our camera equipment with us, so we bought tix for tomorrow for both the observation deck AND an NBC studio tour. Can't wait to see SNL!
NBC Studios at Rockefeller Plaza

Rockefeller Center

Then we headed over to see the tree. It really is gorgeous, but the amount people swarming around it is insane! The ice skating rink is right next to this. Different then I had pictured in my mind, but still nice.
Jeff and the Rockefeller Center

Me and the Rockefeller Center tree

Oh yeah, this is the result of me BUSTING it hardcore right in front of a ton of people in Rockefeller Plaza.

decorations near Radio City Music Hall

After touring the area for a little longer, we made the trek about 8 blocks back to our hotel. We had to go through Times Square to get here, so I snapped a few shots there as well.

Times Square

Another busy day planned for tomorrow. Only three full days in NYC. So much to see/do. Stay tuned for your nightly update!

Oh and p.s. we saw Johnny Depp today! Not two hours in this city and we have a celebrity siting. Quick story. Came out of the subway and passed a group of people swarmed around some cars outside a building. After passing, we realized we were going the wrong way, turned around. By the time we passed the group again, there was major activity. Shouts "Johnny!" "Johnny, we love you!" and "We're your REAL fans" from people wearing Pirates of the Caribbean gear. We peeked over the heads and we saw Johnny's fedora and signature locks. He looked gracious enough to stop and sign some autographs. That's nice at least. It was pretty cool! *no snaps* :(

2 comments:

Sarita said...

Ohhh, you were probably near the Tourist premiere. Brand and Angelina were probably there too!

NYC at Christmas. That is so awesome. Can't wait to see what you did today. Have that camera ready for the next celeb you see ;)

EssentialEm said...

AWESOME!! :) LOVE all the Christmas decs around! aww....how much fun!

Sorry you BUSTED it big time! It's hard to find your way around ALL THOSE PEOPLE!!

Can't wait to hear about today!