Sunday, April 10, 2011

5K for KT: SHAPE Diva Dash

Another 5K for KT under my belt this past weekend. On Saturday, April 9th, I competed in the first ever SHAPE Diva Dash in Austin, Texas. The premise was an "adventure run" which was a 5K with obstacles. My friend, Annah, told me about the event - and I needed this to get re-motivated and refocused on my goals. I had another coworker coincidentally sign up for the event along with her daughter, sister and friends.

Annah & Colleen

Stacey & Colleen

I really enjoyed this event. I have to say, I think this was the hardest course I've run yet. Not because of the obstacles, which were actually pretty easy (think rope walking, giant inflatable ball pit, climbing ropes, inner tubes, and giant inflatable trampolines on the water). But the hills at this park were kind of killer. They were loooong stretches of hills. And yeah, well I haven't been training much on hills, so... this definitely challenged me. I think I persevered!

Being that the event was the first ever, there were some issues. Mainly, they didn't time the participants well at all. No one was chipped. Basically we all started in our "registered" wave, and when we crossed the finish line, they grabbed our bib number. That's it. An Aruba vacation was on the line for heaven's sake. Not like I was going to win it, but someone was in it to win. There were lines to go through the obstacles, talk about messing up some people. I heard the serious folks just bypassed them all together. ??? Hardly seems fair or organized. But again, I wasn't there for the prize. Then there were the other minor issues, out of TP in the potties by 8:30am, no fruit for the contestants after the run, no tshirts for the runners (instead socks - wierd!), and one day later, they still haven't posted are times (cause I think they realized what a big mess up they did). Parking was kind of crazy, but I had been to a previous even at this park and knew that a head of time. Thankfully.

But, I had good friends there, and I had a great time. I really encourage ANYONE to sign up for a 5k, you can do it! Even if you have to walk it - it doesn't matter. All women, of every shape, size and age are out there. We are there for two things. To have fun and to challenge ourselves. The end. I was proud of myself yesterday morning. I pushed it.

On to another 5k next weekend!
At the starting gate (in my TEAL color!) - My photographer had some issues :)
And we're off! The 9:45am wave!



It's hard to tell here, but I'm giving two thumbs up!

Fast forward 3.1 miles, and we are coming in to the finish. The tutus are my friend Stacey and her girls!

I grabbed my kiddo before I crossed the finish line. I want to remember what I'm doing this for.

My two inspirations

5K for KT! Check out that gnarly hair! yowza!

3 comments:

Cavazos Family said...

YEAH Colleen!!! i love it! looks like you guys had a ton of fun!

Good Job!!!

EssentialEm said...

Looks like SOOO much fun!! :):) KT looks proud of her mama!

Those obstacle course ones are hard and really fun!

WAY TO GO COLLEEN!!! :) Keep on going, girlie!

The Garcia Novela said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!! It was great seeing you and experiencing the first ever DIVA DASH! SO cool that you took KT across the finish line w/ you! too cool!