Monday, April 18, 2011

5K for KT: Fiesta Castle Hills 5K

I ran another 5k (for KT) this past weekend! My girlfriend, Saretta talked me into this one, and I'm glad she did! I had a good time, even if I wasn't convinced I was having a good time at first. Jeff was originally supposed to be out of town, fishing, but those plans got waylaid and instead he spent most of the weekend on flooring. Poor man. He's almost done. Needless to say, we'll probably be hiring out this service with our next house! P.S. The floors look great!

Prenatal Yoga Pals! Annah (& Xia), Colleen (& KT), Saretta (Cameryn & Cyanna)

Anyway, I was looking for something fun to do with KT, something that involved us getting out of the house. Saretta mentioned the 5k and I almost convinced myself that since I had already done two, why would I need to do another one. Really, Colleen? Really? You can talk yourself out of just about anything. Instead, I told her, let's DO IT. Just, yes. Yes, okay. Yes. Hold me accountable.

I walked out the door on Saturday morning with a baby clad in shorts and a tshirt and crocs and was slammed with 54 degree weather. Brrrr. I was certain it would of warmed up, but alas, the entire morning was pretty chilly. Luckily I had blankets to keep KT warm and snuggled.

Bundled up

The run was very small, but I kind of liked it like that. It was comfortable. The only thing that messed with me at first was that we had to run the course twice. I don't psychologically do well with multiple laps....I know. It's a total mind game.

The first lap I was thinking the entire way "I do not want to run. I do not want to run. I do not want to run." Hey...it's honesty, pure and simple.

I was lapped (LAPPED!) by the first place winner before I even finished the first 1.5 mile. Talk about a mental blow. Yeesh! But, during the second lap I started thinking "Okay, that wasn't so bad. Let's move it." And I pushed myself a little bit harder than I had on that first lap.

I mapped the course at 2.95 - .15 shy of an actual 5k, but my time crossing the line was 33:....something - much improved from my 40:...something at the SAWS 5K two weekends ago - really? was it only two weekends ago? These past two weeks have gone so slow.

When I crossed the finish line, my first thought was actually "that was fun" - okay, maybe it was "Thank, God, that's over." but definitely followed by "that was actually fun" - I ran with KT and the stroller the entire time (borrowed from Saretta - definitely need a new jogger) so I was super proud of myself. I've only trained with her a handful of times. And it takes some skill to learn how to pace yourself while pushing a stroller. Not so easy.

It was also nice to have great friends to do this with - so thank you, friends! It means a lot!

Colleen, Saretta & Cyanna

KT and Mama after the race!

If you would of asked me a year ago I would have told you I could never run a 5k. If you would of asked me 6 months ago, I would of told you I could never do 3 in two weeks. I'm proud of myself. I don't care if that sound conceited. Keep on keepin' on.

I don't have a run planned for this weekend. But I'm still running. I'm in training, so I like to say. For the big event coming this June *gulp*.

Annah, KT, Colleen & Saretta

KT and Cameryn at the parade after the 5k!

KT and Xia at the Castle Hills Fair after the parade!

Many thanks to Saretta and Annah for taking pics. Stole them just for this post :D

2 comments:

Cavazos Family said...

good job Colleen!!!! you ran great & it was super fabulous!!! can't wait until the next run!!! you guys motivate me & i have the fever now!!!

wait -- you didn't mention how you almost won 1st place in your age group!!!

The Garcia Novela said...

awesome job!! can't wait to do another 5k w/ u all:) Oh and the mini tri!