Sunday, October 23, 2011

In Which You Cast Judgement

Okay, go ahead and cast your judgement on us, because I have an "i-can't-believe-you've-been-doing-it-like-that" moment to share.

Since moving in to this house almost 4 years ago, we've not done much of our dining at the table. And, sadly, this floorplan didn't come with an eat in kitchen. For space reasons, our dining room is being used as 1/2 office, 1/2 dining room.

Since KT's arrival, we've done almost every meal in her highchair, which is in the kitchen, but can also arguably be called in the living room as well. Yes, I know. You see the issue. I know, I know, I can hear you now. Hold your tongue.

I am done with the highchair. It's presence in my kitchen (living room) is a constant mockery to me telling me that I need to graduate my child to an actual chair (read: stop eating in the living room and move to the kitchen, you lazy butt).

So we did. Last weekend, I said "enough is enough" - it's time to be responsible parents and sit this family down at the table. And you know what? I've learned a few things.

I always thought KT was a great eater. She has her "picky" issues, but overall, if I give her what she likes, she'll go to town. But guess what? She's an even better eater at the table. In front of us. With no other distractions.

Because tonight... tonight, I saw my kid eat chicken nuggets for the first time. Do you know how many times I've tried chicken nuggets? (clarification: not mcdonald, this is the store bought kind). She wouldn't eat them. Cause I wasn't showing her how it was done. *slaps forehead audibly* Then the other night, she asked for some lettuce off my plate, and munched down on several pieces. That's when I looked Jeff in the eyes and he looked back into my eyes and we non-verbally communicated that "We are DEFINITELY going to be eating all our meals at the table from here on out."

I knew I was wrong, but boy, was I wrong.

No comments: