![]() |
| Rebecca Jo Vahalik Schwencke (far left) |
Today is my grandmother's 85th birthday. She is my last living grandparent. It's hard typing that out... She lives in a nursing home here in town, suffering from extreme dementia. I haven't seen her in a long time and she only lives about 20-25 minutes from my house. I need to fix that. I keep saying I'll go visit her and I make an excuse every time. She doesn't know me anymore. She definitely doesn't know my daughter. But that shouldn't matter. I should be spending time with her as an homage to the incredible legacy she has made. Four children. Nine grandchildren. Five great-grandchildren. That's pretty damn impressive. The thought of having four children gives me the shivers.
I wish nursing homes were less depressing. I wish someone would pioneer better care facilities. I wish I had more patience with older people. Afterall, I hope to live to a ripe old age as well.
My mother is a saint for all that she has done for her parents.
I have grand memories of Grandma growing up. There house in Canyon Lake, countless sick days spent watching movies at her house, Easters, Christmases, Thanksgivings, poppy seed kolaches, pride in my Czech heritage, and their house on El Verde Rd.
Happy Birthday, Grandma. You have given me some of the best memories of my lifetime.

1 comment:
Well, let me say that she asked me today how old was my daughter...then changed it to how old is the little one now. I'm pretty sure she meant KT! So she has occasional episodes of being in the "now." Let me know if you ever want to go, I'll go with you.
Post a Comment